Who Owns What?

A.  Service line, the portion of pipe from the curb valve, located at or near your property line, into your home or business.

B. Curb box and the curb valve cover are usually at grade level, visible by a round plate about 3 inches in diameter which allows access to the curb valve.

C. Outside meter pit and cover, if your meter is located outside in an underground vault. The pit is a cylindrical ceramic casing. The metal cover is about the size of a dinner plate.

D. Main valve, also known as the cellar valve or house valve, located inside your premises at the service line’s point of entry (normally before the meter).

E. Pressure-reducing valve, an optional device which regulates the pressure of water entering the premises, is usually located on your plumbing near the water meter or hot water heater. It is the responsibility of the customer to verify the water pressure in the home to determine if the pressure is too high or too low to operate their internal plumbing systems. A licensed plumber can assist the homeowner in determining the proper solution to any pressure questions.

F. Water main, owned and maintained by Torrington Water Company.

G. Service connection, the portion of pipe that runs from the water main to the curb valve.

H. Tap, the point at which the service connection pipe is connected to the water main.

I. Curb valve, located underground at your property line. The curb valve connects the service connection to your service line and operates as a shut-off valve.

J. Water meter, a device that measures your water usage.

K. Remote register, a device that allows us to read the meter in your basement without having to enter your home or business. Can be either an odometer-like dial or black box. If your meter has been recently changed, you will no longer need this piece of equipment as we can obtain your reading electronically

Much of the equipment used to provide water is located beneath the ground, and it can be difficult for customers to determine what is their responsibility versus our responsibility. The following diagram shows a typical household water system. You own items A-E and are responsible for keeping them in good repair. The remaining items are owned by Torrington Water Company and we are responsible for their maintenance and repair. 

You, the customer, are responsible for items A-E in the diagram (except for the water meter itself). If you have a problem with those items, please contact your plumber. Torrington Water Company is responsible for items F-K in the diagram - if you need service on our equipment  please call our office at 1-860-489-4149 to schedule a service appointment.

Customer Service line, the portion of pipe from the curb valve, located at or near your property line, into your home or business.